Learn how to successfully manage a construction project! Participants will gain an understanding of the project processes and constraints encountered by project managers (using PMBoK 5th Edition approach). The course will cover project planning, contract process, risk management, estimating, cost control, scheduling, communications and post-mortem analysis.
Two days (16 hours) of in-class instruction, plus an optional online component to be completed after the in-class course. The online component will be based on the in-class material. It may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors.
This course has been accredited by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) for five (5) credits towards Gold Seal certification upon successful completion of this course. Two (2) credits for in-class attendance only.
This course has been approved by BC Housing Licensing and Consumer Services (formerly Homeowners Protection Office) for thirty (30) Group A points towards Continued Professional Development (CPD) for in-class attendance and acceptable completion of online course component.
The course is designed for construction project managers, owners, estimators, and site supervisors.
- Understand the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK 5th Ed)
- Use the appropriate CCDC/CCA contract and/or Purchase Orders for the project
- Use risk management tools and mitigate for risk
- Understand the estimating process
- Understand the importance of scheduling and use appropriate scheduling tools
- Understand expectations management and adapt communication accordingly
- Understand the components of projects – labour, materials and overheads – and use of techniques to maximize job profitability and minimize costs
- Understand the impact and methodology of construction cost control
- Use Construction Industry Codes to analyse costs vs budget
- Understand how job costing fits within the overall accounting systems
- Understand Return on Investment (ROI) and how this impacts required project profit margins
- Understand the contract process from bidding to project close-out
- Use of job profit forecasting methods to integrate into company forecasting systems
- Understand the importance of cash flow projections for construction companies
Mark Waters, CTech., GSC, is the Director of Training for BGC Partners Inc. His career in the construction industry spans the past thirty years with experience and a unique perspective from both the general contracting and consulting engineering sides of the business. Mark is a Gold Seal Certified project manager and served many years in the industry as a senior project manager and estimator. His earlier career was field based, providing years of valuable experience as a project superintendent, general superintendent of field operations and surveying. Graduating with honours from the BCIT Geomatics Technicians program, Mark joined the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Association of BC in 1997.
Tim Williams, MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC, is the President of BGC Partners Inc. BGC Partners provides training services tailor made for the construction industry. Tim has worked with numerous construction companies for over twenty years. He is a Gold Seal Certified project manager. He is an experienced and sought after trainer who has trained construction owners and managers on behalf of construction industry associations across Western Canada.
Fee Includes: Student manual, certificate upon completion, complimentary Wi-Fi access, lunch and free parking.
Cancellation & Substitution Policy:
- More than five (5) business days prior to the Course: full refund of registration fee or change of the course date is permitted.
- Within five (5) business days of the course, or non-attendance on the day: no refunds or transfer of registration fees is permitted. Complimentary substitution of another member of your company is accepted.