Have you worked on construction sites for years and are now in the office? Are you finding yourself asking co-workers for help too often? Do you have the valuable site experience, but not the computer skills to be as effective as you could be? As a valuable employee, your transition into the office is important. This course will help make the transition a smooth one.
This course will familiarize you with several of the most prominent Microsoft programs including Excel for calculations, Outlook for emails and Word for notes, files and letters. Participants will also be introduced to estimating software, PDF markup software, MS Project for project management and RiskMP for risk and change management.
This two-day, hands-on, instructor-led course will provide you with a broad overview and a good, general understanding of each of these most widely-used programs. We will focus on construction-specific examples and scenarios.
This course has been accredited by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) for two (2) credits towards Gold Seal certification upon successful completion of this course.
This course has been approved by BC Housing Licensing and Consumer Services (formerly Homeowners Protection Office) for four (4) Group A and ten (10) Group B points towards Continued Professional Development (CPD) for in-class attendance.
Anyone with limited computer experience who is interested in or has been asked to perform an office role.
This course provides you some experience with different computer programs so that you have a good understanding and basic overall knowledge of these programs.
- WORD: Creating documents, managing files, some basic skills and a basic intro to computers, using Word. Learn about how/where your files are stored and how to find them.
- EXCEL: Creating spreadsheets to calculate costs, estimate projects, keep track of jobs, people, and materials, and calculate productivity.
- OUTLOOK: EMAIL CALENDARS & CONTACTS: Email management including organization, junk mail, and rules. Attachments and document handling. Organizing schedules, as well practical contact management.
- MS PROJECT: Updating a project schedule . Creating a simple schedule.
- RISK MANAGEMENT: Identify and communicate project risks to the team. Flag changes and send alerts. Basic project tracking.
- ESTIMATING: Estimating a simple job.
- PDF MARKUPS: Editing and marking up PDF’s. Managing versions.
Anne Leroux, P.Eng. is a founding partner of ES Computer Training and Technologies, ESCTT Inc. A graduate of the University of Waterloo, Anne is a professional engineer with over 25 years experience in construction, engineering and project management. Anne possesses prolific experience in the field and as a consultant. She has been responsible for the development and implementation of numerous software programs used in the construction and architectural industries. Established in 1992, ESCTT Inc. provides computer infrastructure services to businesses in various industry verticals. Products/ventures have included risk management software for construction, business intelligence software, thin client data systems and distributed workforce software.
Greg Leroux has been a leading financial strategist, consultant and instructor to the construction industry since 2008, Greg Leroux has become an authority on getting construction firms to maximize their productivity through the use of information technology. Greg is not only an expert with standard construction software, but has been a key developer of the Risk Managment application - RiskMP. Greg has worked closely with construction companies throughout Canada, lending his practical, results-driven approach to ensure success.
Fee Includes: Student manual, laptops, software, certificate upon completion, complimentary Wi-Fi access, lunch and free parking.
Cancellation & Substitution Policy:
- More than five (5) business days prior to the Course: full refund of registration fee or change of the course date is permitted.
- Within five (5) business days of the course, or non-attendance on the day: no refunds or transfer of registration fees is permitted. Complimentary substitution of another member of your company is accepted.