In this course, participants will develop an understanding of contract law as it relates to construction and the various CCDC/CCA and other contracts used within the industry. Participants will also learn how the Builders Lien Act works and the other legal means to resolve construction disputes and avoid litigation.
It will include two days (16 hours) of lessons with instructors plus an online portion involving research, reading and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors.
This course has been accredited by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) for five (5) credits towards Gold Seal certification upon successful completion of this course.
This course has been approved by the Homeowner Protection Office (HPO) for thirty (30) Group B points towards Continued Professional Development (CPD) upon successful completion.
This course is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators and supervisors.
- Understand the basics of contract law – intention, offer, acceptance, consideration, capacity and legality.
- Be familiar with various CCDC/CCA contracts - how and why they are used
- Be familiar with various legal terms used in contracts
- Understand the bidding process and contractual obligations
- Understand how specifications and drawings fit within the contractual hierarchy
- Understand the contractual relationship between contractor and sub-contractor
- Compile and submit proper extras and claims
- Define back charges and how to avoid them
- Avoid construction disputes and claims from the site level
- Write RFIs and Change Orders
- Understand the dispute resolution process – negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation
- Use the Builder’s Lien Act to obtain security
- Use the small claims process to collect debts
- Understand environmental law and how it impacts projects
- Understand safety law and it impacts construction companies
David Letkemann is a partner at Linley Welwood LLP, a law firm that focuses its practice on business law and litigation. David practices in the field of civil litigation, including personal injury, commercial, estate and construction law. He has participated in numerous trials in the Supreme Court, both jury and judge-alone, and has also appeared before the Court of Appeal on several occasions.
Mark Waters, CTech, is a Project Manager with Isherwood Geostructural Engineers. Previously he was a Project Manager with Quantum Murray LP. He graduated from the BCIT Geomatics Technician program with honours in 1996 and joined the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Association of BC in 1997. Mark spent many of his earlier civil construction years as a project superintendent and engineering surveyor. He has worked in the civil and environmental construction industry for the past 30 years and is an experienced project manager and estimator.
Tim Williams, MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC, is the President of BGC Partners Inc. BGC Partners provides training services tailor made for the construction industry. Tim has worked with numerous construction companies for over twenty years. He is a Gold Seal Certified project manager. He is an experienced and sought after trainer who has trained construction owners and managers across the on behalf of construction industry associations across Western Canada.
Course includes: Course materials, lunch, complimentary Wi-Fi access, and free parking.
Cancellation Policy: Payment is non-refundable for cancellations made within 5 business days of the event, or non-attendance on the day.