Don’t let the name “101” fool you! This course is intended for both new and experienced members of the construction industry. Participants will receive an introduction to the industry and learn about roles, responsibilities, construction documents, risk management, legal matters, project management, tendering, bidding and contracts.
This course has been accredited by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) for two (2) credits towards Gold Seal certification upon successful completion of this course.
This course has been approved by BC Housing Licensing and Consumer Services (formerly Homeowners Protection Office) for sixteen (16) Group A and fourteen (14) Group B points towards Continued Professional Development (CPD) for in-class attendance and successful completion of an open-book final exam.
New employees, those in administrative or support roles, or anyone looking to get a broader understanding of the construction industry as a whole.
- Identify the different players/roles in the construction industry and understand how they work together
- Understand construction terminology, contracts, and procurement methods
- Understand basic legal principles, bonding and construction insurance
- Understand how to better assist the management team
- Identify and utilize resources available to your company
Debbie Hicks, B.Sc. DSH Consulting, Kelowna, BC. With a comprehensive education background (Diploma in Business Administration, Bachelors of Science, teaching credential, and in progress MBA) learning has been at the core of her career. As former President of the Southern Interior Construction Association in BC for 22 years, liaising with the buyers of construction services, architects, engineers and contractors in advocacy and education brings a solid base to her expertise. In addition, her experience as the owner Rep for the construction of the new Clubhouse for the Kelowna Yacht Club has provided additional perspective. Through these experiences and teaching techniques, Debbie is able to bring both knowledge and interaction to the classroom – an ideal education environment.
Fee Includes: A comprehensive 'Construction 101' binder accompanied by a guide on the Builders' Lien Act, certificate upon completion, complimentary Wi-Fi access, lunch and free parking.
Cancellation & Substitution Policy:
- More than five (5) business days prior to the Course: full refund of registration fee or change of the course date is permitted.
- Within five (5) business days of the course, or non-attendance on the day: no refunds or transfer of registration fees is permitted. Complimentary substitution of another member of your company is accepted.