This course takes participants through the stages of blueprint reading, including dimensions, elevation, drawing, specifications and schedules. Using both residential and commercial samples of blueprints, participants will gain experience and practical knowledge for their day-to-day work in construction companies.
Format: One day (8 hours) of in-class instruction.
This course has been accredited by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) for one (1) credit towards Gold Seal certification upon successful completion of this course.
This course has been approved by BC Housing Licensing and Consumer Services (formerly Homeowners Protection Office) for seven and a half (7.5) Group A points towards Continued Professional Development (CPD) for in-class attendance.
Ideal for those who have little or no background in blueprint reading.
- Have a basic knowledge of blueprint reading as it relates to building construction projects
- Understand in general terms the design process and the role of design professionals
- Understand how Building Codes and Bylaws impact blueprints
- Understand specifications and the contractual hierarchy
- Be able to answer basic construction questions related to the layout and installation of materials
- Be able to identify simple problems or short comings of the blueprints you are using
- Be familiar with architectural, civil, electrical and mechanical drawings, and how they fit together
- Understand and be able to use architectural & engineering scales
- Understand how to convert engineering dimensions to architectural
- Know how to identify a floor plan, section and elevation
- Understand symbols, notation, abbreviations and material schedules
- Be able to work with the drawings to obtain basic information on dimension, finishes, details, area calculations, and the ability to do simple material take offs
- Be familiar with both commercial and residential blueprints
Chad Brechin, AScT, is the President of Integrity Design Studios Inc. He is a “Georgie” award winning designer and has been designing commercial, industrial and high end residential construction projects for over twenty years. He received his AScT in Building Science at BCIT and graduated with honours and an award resulting from a design competition. Chad joined the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Association of BC in January of 1995. He is an experienced trainer who has taught technical drafting and AutoCAD 3D (BIM) at a university level.
Fee Includes: Student manual, certificate upon completion, complimentary Wi-Fi access, lunch and free parking.
Cancellation & Substitution Policy:
- More than five (5) business days prior to the Course: full refund of registration fee or change of the course date is permitted.
- Within five (5) business days of the course, or non-attendance on the day: no refunds or transfer of registration fees is permitted. Complimentary substitution of another member of your company is accepted.