Learn how to successfully manage a construction project! Participants will gain an understanding of the project processes and constraints encountered by project managers (using PMBoK 5th Edition approach). The course will cover project planning, contract process, risk management, estimating, cost control, scheduling, communications and post-mortem analysis.
It will include two days (16 hours) of lessons with instructors plus an online portion involving research, reading and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors.
This course has been accredited by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) for five (5) credits towards Gold Seal certification upon successful completion of this course.
This course has been approved by the Homeowner Protection Office (HPO) for thirty (30) Group A points towards Continued Professional Development (CPD) upon successful completion.
The course is designed for construction project managers, owners, estimators, and site supervisors.
- Understand the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK 5th Ed)
- Use the appropriate CCDC/CCA contract and/or Purchase Orders for the project
- Use risk management tools and mitigate for risk
- Understand the estimating process
- Understand the importance of scheduling and use appropriate scheduling tools
- Understand expectations management and adapt communication accordingly
- Understand the components of projects – labour, materials and overheads – and use of techniques to maximize job profitability and minimize costs
- Understand the impact and methodology of construction cost control
- Use Construction Industry Codes to analyse costs vs budget
- Understand how job costing fits within the overall accounting systems
- Understand Return on Investment (ROI) and how this impacts required project profit margins
- Understand the contract process from bidding to project close-out
- Use of job profit forecasting methods to integrate into company forecasting systems
- Understand the importance of cash flow projections for construction companies
Mark Waters, CTech, is a Project Manager with Isherwood Geostructural Engineers. Previously he was a Project Manager with Quantum Murray LP. He graduated from the BCIT Geomatics Technician program with honours in 1996 and joined the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Association of BC in 1997. Mark spent many of his earlier civil construction years as a project superintendent and engineering surveyor. He has worked in the civil and environmental construction industry for the past 30 years and is an experienced project manager and estimator.
Tim Williams, MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC, is the President of BGC Partners Inc. BGC Partners provides training services tailor made for the construction industry. Tim has worked with numerous construction companies for over twenty years. He is a Gold Seal Certified project manager. He is an experienced and sought after trainer who has trained construction owners and managers across the on behalf of construction industry associations across Western Canada.
Course includes: Course materials, lunch, complimentary Wi-Fi access, and free parking.
Cancellation Policy: Payment is non-refundable for cancellations made within 5 business days of the event, or non-attendance on the day.