Participants will acquire knowledge how to prepare a successful bid and learn construction estimating skills. Course topics will include project analysis, risk analysis, bid strategies and processes, Construction Division Codes, bonding and insurance.
Format: Two days (16 hours) of in-class instruction, plus an optional online component to be completed after the in-class course. The online component will be based on the in-class material. It may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors.
This course has been accredited by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) for five (5) credits towards Gold Seal certification upon successful completion of this course. Two (2) credits for in-class attendance only.
This course has been approved by BC Housing Licensing and Consumer Services (formerly Homeowners Protection Office) for thirty (30) Group A points towards Continued Professional Development (CPD) for in-class attendance and acceptable completion of online course component.
This course is designed for construction estimators and those with experience in construction that desire to be estimators or improve their knowledge of estimating.
- Analyze projects and decide on which ones to bid
- Understand risk analysis and how to price this into a bid
- Formulate a bid strategy, understand how to present a bid, and the post bidding process
- Understand how to prepare an estimate and the estimating process
- Use Construction Division Codes
- Be familiar with how to use the bid depository
- Understand the requirements for bonding and insurance
Mark Waters, CTech., GSC, is the Director of Training for BGC Partners Inc. His career in the construction industry spans the past thirty years with experience and a unique perspective from both the general contracting and consulting engineering sides of the business. Mark is a Gold Seal Certified project manager and served many years in the industry as a senior project manager and estimator. His earlier career was field based, providing years of valuable experience as a project superintendent, general superintendent of field operations and surveying. Graduating with honours from the BCIT Geomatics Technicians program, Mark joined the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Association of BC in 1997.
Tim Williams, MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC, is the President of BGC Partners Inc. BGC Partners provides training services tailor made for the construction industry. Tim has worked with numerous construction companies for over twenty years. He is a Gold Seal Certified project manager. He is an experienced and sought after trainer who has trained construction owners and managers on behalf of construction industry associations across Western Canada.
Fee Includes: Student manual, certificate upon completion, complimentary Wi-Fi access, lunch and free parking.
Cancellation & Substitution Policy:
- More than five (5) business days prior to the Course: full refund of registration fee or change of the course date is permitted.
- Within five (5) business days of the course, or non-attendance on the day: no refunds or transfer of registration fees is permitted. Complimentary substitution of another member of your company is accepted.