Since the announcement by Minister of Finance Bill Morneau about his Government’s proposed small business tax changes in July, the VRCA has been working with its members and the BC and Canadian Construction Associations (BCCA and CCA) to voice its concerns with the proposed changes. In summary:
- CCA is part of the national Coalition for Small Business Tax Fairness and has sent letters to the Finance Minister and supported strategic advertising.
- BCCA has formally supported CCA’s position and has set out its concerns in the context of the construction industry in BC.
- VRCA has joined its industry counterparts from across Canada and circulated to members a new campaign that is being led by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce called Protect Growth. Through the microsite www.protectgrowth.ca construction companies are able to connect directly with their local MPs and send a letter that sets out their concerns with the proposed tax changes. The password to access the tool is “Chamber2017”.
We are also circulating two template letters that can be sent to your local MP:
- Template 1 – Requires your corporate letterhead and signature only
- Template 2 – Requires your corporate letterhead, a brief description of your business and your signature
The clock is ticking; the deadline for input is October 2 … please act now, either via www.protectgrowth.ca or by sending one of the templated letters to your local MP.